Sign up | Login with →

developing countries

5 Countries You (Probably) Didn't Know Were Going Solar

December 25, 2013 by Jeremy Gottlieb

Going Solar

Solar energy has the power to change lives. In developing countries around the world, solar panels are offering a way to provide off-grid villages with clean electricity to drastically improve the quality of life among their inhabitants.[read more]

Energy and Environmental Relief for Emerging Nations

December 3, 2013 by Jim Baird
1

Energy Poverty and Countries at Risk

It will be far more productive in the long run for the developed countries to provide emerging nations with energy that mitigates the climate change problem than to pay them reparations that will, in the end, have a very limited remedial impact.[read more]

New Investment Index Set To Focus On Developing World

November 27, 2013 by Joshua Hill

In an effort to provide investors with up-to-date information necessary to reform outdated regulation and infrastructure, the Multilateral Investment Fund have conceived of a investment index to examine government policies and the level of investment in clean energy across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.[read more]

A Common Fallacy in the Energy and Climate Debate

September 10, 2013 by Schalk Cloete
75

Energy and Climate

Those participating in the energy and climate debate often approach the issues from a purely developed world point of view. As this article will illustrate, this type of thinking and approach can lead to dangerously incomplete conclusions.[read more]

Innovative Device Boils Water and Produces Electricity

April 21, 2013 by Tyler Hamilton
2

PowerPot at work

Power Practical, a company that sprang out of research from the University of Utah, has developed a pot that can charge wireless devices through a USB connection while boiling water.[read more]

Let Them Eat Solar Panels

December 18, 2012 by Breakthrough Institute
1

Imagine the United States sending low-calorie food aid to Ethiopia in response to the global obesity epidemic. Absurd, right? Even if global waistline trends are worrisome, Ethiopians didn't create the problem. Such a policy would be futile since it would have no noticeable impact on the global aggregate.Worse, while obesity may be a...[read more]

Fossil Fuel Subsidies Blocking Clean Energy?

May 4, 2012 by Nino Marchetti
2

Shutterstock

A study just published in the journal Nature Climate Change suggests that fossil fuel subsidies in some developing nations stand most in the way of clean energy. For a livable climate, developing nations must bypass the fossil age as they grow their 21st century economies.The paper, Assessing the costs of photovoltaic and wind...[read more]

A Tweet to Change the World

December 23, 2011 by David Hone
1

Anyone who followed COP 17 in Durban would have noticed that the UNFCCC and its Executive Secretary, Christiana Figueres, are active Tweeters. But one Tweet in particular opens up a key issue facing the UNFCCC – what exactly is its remit?[read more]

Cancun: Spending the money

January 12, 2011 by David Hone

What started in Copenhagen as an aspiration for $30 billion in fast-start financing and up to $100 billion per annum by 2020 in North-South financing flow has been translated into the Cancun agreements as the beginnings of long term arrangements for specific funding purposes. Although the intention is to provide the necessary funding, the reality of doing so through a Green Climate Fund to facilitate the delivery of the 2020 pledges is very challenging.[read more]

Belfer Center: Governments of Emerging Economies Out-Investing US in Energy Research

December 21, 2010 by Breakthrough Institute

The governments of six developing countries may now be investing more in energy research than the governments of twenty-one of the world's most developed economies, according to a new report by the Harvard Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. The report takes a close look at the federal energy innovation policies of...[read more]

Towards a Greater Role for Developing Countries at COP16

December 1, 2010 by Climatico Analysis

Article by Guest Contributor: Joelle Westlund Mystery in China (Image by: **Maurice**) Emerging from the four preparatory rounds in Bonn, Germany and Tianjin, China, developing countries have reason to doubt the progress to be made at the COP16 conference in Cancun. In the meetings leading up to  the conference, China and the...[read more]

Guest Post by Richard W. Caperton: How to leverage private finance for clean energy investment in developing countries

November 7, 2010 by Joseph Romm

This memo by CAP’s Richard W. Caperton is a companion to a new Global Climate Network (GCN) report, Investing in Clean Energy.  Aimed at policymakers, financiers and experts, it includes detailed information on five financial instruments proposed by the GCN in our main report.  Collectively, the instruments have the potential...[read more]

Getting it Right for the US and China in the Clean Energy Race

May 27, 2010 by Barbara Finamore

The world is finally beginning to grasp the importance of the global race for clean energy – but it’s easy to lose sight of how interconnected the United States and China are in this race. Last week, an excellent market report and an encouraging new business deal illustrated precisely this reality. Bloomberg New Energy Finance released a...[read more]

American Power Act needs More International Financing

May 14, 2010 by Matt Dernoga

One of the biggest flaws of the American Power Act is its lack of adequate international aid for climate mitigation and adaption.  This is necessary for the US to secure a global deal.  A number of organizations have signed onto the following press release about this issue. ActionAid USA ● CARE USA ● Center for International...[read more]

People's Agreement released following WPCCC in Cochabamba, Bolivia

April 27, 2010 by Richard Graves

Today, our Mother Earth is wounded and the future of humanity is in danger. If global warming increases by more than 2 degrees Celsius, a situation that the “Copenhagen Accord” could lead to, there is a 50% probability that the damages caused to our Mother Earth will be completely irreversible. Between 20% and 30% of species would be in...[read more]