Again, we respect your good intentions, but your information is far from reality. We are engineers, several of whom also hold MBA's in Finance and Economics. We have an Aerospace Division and build aircraft for the government. We have a Mining Division and hold 57 mining claims and maintain Federal Mining ID's and MSHA safety standards in adverse conditions. We are serious people.
1. The U.S. grid has 4 basic components: source generation, transmission, power distribution units (PDU/sub-stations) and target customers. While it is true the source generation may be able to support possibly a 100% EV migration today, the transmission, PDU network and customer service lines would have to be upgraded - as yours likely was when you installed your high capacity charger. There is a section about this in the article - the price tag is estimated at $14T.
2. Why would you make such a statement to suggest any 4 wheeled, enclosed vehicle cost only $.04/mile to operate. The cost per/mile of any vehicle includes the purchase price, taxes, insurance, maintenance, fuel costs, recycling costs, (subtract the fair market value) all divided by the number of miles traveled in the vehicle. Sorry to be the one to break the news, but studies show that a Leaf is running about $.85/mile at the end of its life cycle (est. 130,000miles) while a VW Passat will cost about $.22/mile at the end of its life cycle (est. 300,000miles). Your EV will cost about 4x as much as a comparable advanced diesel vehicle.
3. An EV uses 2x - 10,000x the amount of rare earth and heavy metals (we have compiled the matrix) than an advanced diesel vehicle. This is unsustainable, the impact to the planet is staggering, the Chinese death toll to support this effort is horrific, the coal emissions to recharge EV's is 1,000x that of an advanced diesel running biodiesel from 2nd generation feedstock, ...
4. Computers for EV are still a specialty control system on a limited number of vehicles. While advanced diesel computers have matured from the sale of over a hundred million vehicles already. EV's and plug-in hybrids experience mass electrical failures which require the replacement of this on-board computer. Over 300 replacements are documented in our research records.
5. In this case, your specific private vehicle transportation needs are not in-line with the general public and we salute your choice of lifestyle. An advanced diesel such as a VW Passat has a range of over 800miles per tank if you feel trapped by the limited range of your Leaf.
It is not a matter of "taking on" EV's, it is a matter of accurate information to the public about EV's. If your EV works for you, it is a free country, but the information you are publishing is simply incorrect and you need to better research the reality of EV's. If environmental issues are important than you will stop driving an EV very quickly when you realize the impact of your purchase. If you find yourself in the southern Nevada area, look us up, be happy to educate as to the future of transportation in the world.
Join the Migration - http://etcgreen.com U.S. Migration