In this Brussels Briefing on Energy for viEUws – the EU Policy Broadcaster, leading journalist Hughes Belin provides an overview ofprogress made on the EU’s Energy Union project, ahead of the formal launch of the Energy Union by the European Commission on 25 February.
Climate and Energy Commissioner Cañete already revealed a series of actions to materialise the Energy Union:
- 10-point plan for energy security that includes: regulation on security of electricity supply, plans for a common gas purchasing platform, a new Liquefied Natural Gas strategy, progress on a Mediterranean gas hub & the Southern Gas Corridor
- Implementing the internal energy market
- Commission will propose a new “renewable energy package” to reach 27% renewables by 2030
- Special attention to energy efficiency
- Conference on heating and cooling in the European Energy Transition on 26 & 27 February
- Investment in research and innovation
- Energy Council meeting on 5 March – first debate on the Energy Union
Featuring statements by Vice President for Energy Union, Maroš Šefčovič and Miguel Arias Cañete, Commissioner for Climate Action and Energy.