Nuclear Power, Simply Put
The case for advanced nuclear power, in twelve sentences:
1. Nuclear power plants generate power less expensively than wind or solar power plants.
2. Nuclear power plants are safer than other power plants.
3. There's plenty of uranium and thorium for civilization's foreseeable future.
4. People are overly fearful of radiation.
5. There's really not much waste; the US disposes of 1000 times more EPA-registered hazardous waste, like mercury, PCBs, etc.
6. Waste can be safely stored in rock tunnels like Yucca, salt caverns like New Mexico, or deep boreholes. New reactor designs can reduce the amount.
7. Nuclear weapons are derived from purpose-built reactors or centrifuges, not power plants.
8. Most electricity comes from coal and natural gas.
9. Today coal and natural gas generate power less expensively than nuclear and hydro.
10. To stop global particulate and CO2 pollution, we must provide developing nations with a cheaper alternative to fossil fuels.
11. Only advanced nuclear power reactors have the potential for energy cheaper than coal, necessary to dissuade 7 billion people in 250 nations from burning carbon.
12. The liquid fluoride thorium reactor has the potential to undersell fossil fuels and end the climate/energy/poverty crises.
Photo Credit: Nuclear Energy Benefits/shutterstock
Energy policy study leader: ILEAD@Dartmouth
Vice president: Boston Scientific
Management consultant: Arthur D Little
Vice president: Metropolitan Life
Assistant professor of mathematics: Dartmouth College
PhD, physics, Brown University
AB, mathematics and physics, Dartmouth College
Other Posts by Robert Hargraves
|More coming soon...|
The Energy Collective
- Rod Adams
- Scott Edward Anderson
- a b
- Charles Barton
- Barry Brook
- Steven Cohen
- Dick DeBlasio
- Senator Pete Domenici
- Simon Donner
- Big Gav
- Michael Giberson
- Kirsty Gogan
- James Greenberger
- Lou Grinzo
- Tyler Hamilton
- Christine Hertzog
- David Hone
- Gary Hunt
- Jesse Jenkins
- Sonita Lontoh
- Rebecca Lutzy
- Jesse Parent
- Jim Pierobon
- Vicky Portwain
- Willem Post
- Tom Raftery
- Joseph Romm
- Robert Stavins
- Robert Stowe
- Geoffrey Styles
- Alex Trembath
- Gernot Wagner